Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Project:Casa Gaia Logo


Some time ago I heard that a couple that live locally were looking for a logo for their house, from which they run various ecological, spiritual and creative workshops  http://casagaia.co.uk/?page_id=225.
It piqued my interest at the time but took me a while to get round to making a spider diagram of ideas and some thumbnail sketches, which I then sent to them. 





They gave me some very positive feedback and have some ideas of their own regarding colours for a web version and a black and white version which can be easily photocopied so we’ll meet at the end of this week to talk about taking things further. In the meantime I’ll redo their favourite thumbnails with the changes they suggested.




Money is tight in these parts (southern Spain) so we’ve agreed that payment will be in the form of units of the local alternative currency (the Jandita) which was set up by a small group of us last year in an effort to keep things moving amongst the local community despite the economic crisis. This will be my first major transaction in Janditas which is very exciting.

I met with my prospective client and in the meantime we’d all had other ideas about elements that could be included (e.g. the cyclical nature of nature especially pertaining to water) or excluded from the logo (e.g. the sea) and what actually constitutes a logo rather than an illustration.
I took some photos of details of the house, garden and sketches they’d made with other friends with design experience and did some more research


First I made a vector version of their favourite sketch (which their friend had done) using photoshop and illustrator

Then changed the house door to a water drop to introduce the water element



Then I applied the same treatment to one of my sketches which was inspired by a chat we had about ‘volunteer’ plants (those that just sprout out of nowhere) and starting with small actions – represented by the seedling; the water cycle – represented by the drop and spiral. The house is balanced on top representing sustainability.




I tried to keep an element of the hand drawn in all the vector sketches as my potential client said she preferred this.
I have sent them the sketches and am waiting for their feedback.



No comments:

Post a Comment