Saturday, June 23, 2012

Project: La Casa del Sol

Brief
·         Context
To design a sign for a house called La Casa del Sol, which can also be used for business cards.
·         Content
A representation of the sun, sky and sea with text ‘La Casa del Sol’
·         Role of Image
To sign post the house entrance and to act as a logo for business cards
·         Audience
People seeking alternative therapies
·         Stylistic aspects
A mandala, colours: yellow, orange, red, turquoise
·         Effects
Brightness, positivity
·         Tools and Materials
Sign: marine ply, gloss paint, varnish (for maximum weather resistance)
·         Size
Business cards: 84x55mm (to be ordered from moo.com)
Sign: 64.7cm square

I started my research by looking at mandala and sun images on the internet and in books.

Mandalas

Then I made spider diagrams for ‘sun’, the client’s personality and her type of therapy and a mood board with my favourite images found images. I also wanted to use elements of the golden proportion and the Fibonacci sequence so I made notes on these and drew some thumbnails.





One of the sketches stood out as being particularly harmonious for me so I developed it into a line visual which I showed the client, and she approved, along with the quote and the basic colours. She also decided on the size and shape of the sign at this point.


I made enlarged photocopies of the line visual which I transferred onto the primed wood using tracing paper.





I started painting the sign and the client came to see some colour swatches and indicated which of the mixed shades she wanted me to use.






These show the various stages:




Unfortunately the masking tape that I used to help mark the frame margin pulled some of the background paint off so I had to carefully colour match and repair the damaged parts.

Finally I added clouds, waves, the house name (choosing the client’s favourite colour) and added touches of gold to the mandala and the frame.



I designed a business card using a photo of the partially painted sign so that the design wasn’t overly detailed at a smaller scale. I had given the client the option to have the logo designed separately but the former was a way to make the process quicker, thereby cutting costs.

The business card design



I then showed her how to set up an account with moo.com and helped her order her cards.

Reflection:

In the end she was very pleased with the sign and so was I but there were some problems:
·         I sent her some business card samples and a photo of the sign which in retrospect didn’t represent the colours well and there were a stressful few days for both of us before she saw it ‘in person’ and approved.
·         The painting took me many more hours to complete than I had anticipated.

Next time I would adjust the quote accordingly and not send a photo unless I'd made absolutely sure that the colours were true.




No comments:

Post a Comment