Monday, December 16, 2013

Exercise: Working for children

A few examples of children's illustrators:

Research

These age group divides are not strict
Pre-reader
Emiri Hayashi, Rosalinde Bonnet

          Emiri Hayashi                 Rosalinde Bonnet

John Burningham (age 7 and under) 
John Burningham




Eric Carle
Pre-school 3-5

Raymond Briggs


Lisa Hunt
Annette Tison and Talus Taylor
Classic 70's Barbapapa

Sophie Rohrbach 
Sophie Rohrbach


Mario Ramos
A World of Pigs
Maud Legrand



Renato, Santa's Helper

Early reader 5-7


Colleen Madden

Sara Fanelli

Unknown artists


Various items in a shop window

Wrapping paper

Alice and Martin Provensen
La Ronde des Animaux

Established reader 7-9
Alan Mets
Dragounet

Sir John Tenniel , classic Alice in Wonderland

Sir John Tenniel

Renata Liwska There's a wonderful video featuring her sketchbooks on her website (for children of all ages)
Renata Liwska

Moomins, I loved these as a child and still do


Tove Jansson

Angela Barrett
Angela Barrett

Miss Clara
Older age groups
WW Denslow , Lyonel Feininger , Winsor McCay (great little film here, skip to 7:30) 

WW Denslow       Lyonel Feininger     Winsor McCay


Elisabette Gnone

I was enchanted by this at 11

Raymond Briggs

Anime/Manga

Rumiko Takahashi
faQy 

faQy
Animal egg covers for all age groups 

Designed by Uta Pietz

My lllustrations for children:
Sketchbook


Sketches from life
Play sketches

Brainstorming and thumbnails

The Mouse's Journey (pre-school)

LV


Coloured with chalk and charcoal

Further layers of colour and layered in photoshop with soft light effect
I chose to colour this image with chalks and charcoal as I thought it would give a nice, simple textural effect; it was actually quite difficult to control the materials at this scale, the paper I used had a flat finish which did not offer any interest texturally and to capturing the brightness of the chalk colours digitally took some adjustment.

Sad Dog (early reader)


Source photo

LV

Meerkat Family (established reader)
I had the idea to portray the word family with meerkats, which are charming, comical creatures likely to appeal to children.


Rough sketch form a photo by Thomas Dressler
LV
I then decided to colour the image by collaging it in photoshop, initially using sand as a texture, since they live in dry terrains, but this proved a bit dull colour wise 


So I redid it with rust

Meerkat shapes used as a layer mask to achieve tonal difference in collage, with cut out line work placed as a top layer for clarity

The meerkats in profile looked much more recognisable than those front on because I didn’t take enough care over the initial drawing so I decided to make a collage of one particular meerkat, this also has the advantage that the source photo is not immediately recognisable.


I found this much more stylistically pleasing (I do like to repeat an image) and tried another layout. I like the Russian doll effect of my final image and the fact that the collage markings become a 'family trait'.

Meerkat Family (established reader)
Here's a better crop of the final image



I found this exercise quite a struggle as working for children is not my metier. I had to really force myself to sit down and just get on with it, having said that I'm quite pleased with my final images for both age groups.

The divides between age groups are certainly not clear cut and there are plenty of darkly coloured illustrations which appeal to children of all ages.








No comments:

Post a Comment