Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Exercise: Travel Guides

Research:
BBC Travel Column 'Drawing on Experience' by Tim Baynes
These urban sketches by Luis Ruiz are wonderfully light and clear
Recycled book covers by Gary Taxali
Beautiful handmade travel guides
Zen of guide books 

Istanbul

Helsinki
Google search Helsinki

A display of travel guides in a book shop


Brief
Context: Set of 3 travel guide book covers

Content: Many elements (travel, sites of interest, food, maps, city crests) drawn together

Role of Image: To represent the cities of Milan, Istanbul and Helsinki

Audience: Travellers of all persuasions

Stylistic aspect/ Effects: diagrammatic; hand drawn type; vintage feel; artist’s travel journal; collage

Themes: location; travel; sites of interest; fashion; food; folk art

Tools and Materials: Any

Size: 15x21 (spiral bound?)

Brainstorming




Mood board


Ideas for inclusion:
Milan: fashion, ice cream, panettone, Duomo, Scala opera house, tram, train, plane, mopeds

Istanbul: Blue Mosque, Saint Sophie, carpets and tiles, Turkish delight, train, plane, tram, boat

Helsinki: Cathedral, zoo, amusement park, art museum, traditional pastry dish, fish, folk art, tram, train, plane, boat

I started with Milan, experimenting with different paper backgrounds and added elements to my basic layout as they were completed. I intended to use the basic layout for all the covers in order to unify the set.

Element: title
Milan: I looked at various fonts for the title including Eccentric then chose Vivaldi as it has a classical feel and an Italian name. I tried tracing it with an italic pen first then traced the solid name in pencil, not just the outline, which produced a nice patchy, textured effect, which I scanned then cut out and inverted in photoshop.



Helsinki: fonts considered: Franklin Gothic Book (too plain); IMPACT (too heavy); Palatino Linotype selected for simple elegance and good weight and vertical dimension.



Istanbul: fonts considered: Andalus (too similar to Palatino Linotype); Symbol OTT (too abstract) I researched Arabic simulation fonts online http://guindo.pntic.mec.es/jmag0042/arabic.html then downloaded Afarat ibn Blady and made a collage Istanbul with the print out which I then traced. Eventually I modified the upward stroke of the b to make an upper case I.




Element:  maps
My geography is useless so I thought it would be useful to have a locating map of Europe with each country highlighted by its flag. This also acts to unify the set.




I traced a map of Europe


Scanned it to photoshop, inverted it


And made a collage by adding layers of paper (including another marbling experiment) and deleting the relevant sections of my original map



I then printed out flags and treated them with a crackle glaze and stain before scanning them and adding them to my collage.


City map
I noticed that all the maps of a city have a certain pattern which I wanted to capture.
There would doubtless be a detailed city map inside the book so an outline on the
cover would be fine.
I looked online at various maps including this one
and traced an outline of the main roads using this one as a template, which I scanned into photoshop and experimented with different effects and colours



before deciding on this one, which unifies the set as I’ve used the same marbling background as the other maps and the same old paper border that the stamps sit on.


Element: Places of interest
I wanted to include sketches, such as those a visitor would make, of two of the major sites in each city and to make them into stamps which would fit in with the collage/artist-collector theme.

I sketched these in pencil, then water proof sepia pen, then watercolour pencil and a wash of water, then treated in photoshop.

 Milan: La Scala Opera



Il Duomo Cathedral




Helsinki: Cathedral





Istanbul (preparatory sketches): Blue Mosque


Hagia Sofia


Postmark
Initially I used a digital cut out of the postmark from this stamp over my sketch stamps


Then I decided to include the name of each destination.
I made mock-ups in photoshop which I then printed, traced and scanned into photoshop before cutting out the line work.



Element: travel
These are the stages in the Milanese tram drawing: charcoal; acrylic wash; manipulation in photoshop. I ‘scratched’ away the edges of the image to make it look like a sticker which was wearing away.







Istanbul tram sketch





Train (for all three)
Pencil drawing, scanned, manipulated and coloured in photoshop


Boats (not Milan)

Planes (for all three, method as per train)


Scooter (Milan, method as per train and plane)





 Bicycle (Helsinki) http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Finland/Etelae_Suomi/Helsinki-242105/Transportation-Helsinki-City_Bikes-BR-1.html

Element: city crest
Istanbul: I used a version of the football club crest which I couldn’t find again.

I wanted to make icons from the food and miscellaneous elements, simple white outlines on a circular coloured background with a white border like a sticker (inspired by the yay! stickers of moo.com). In each case I made a drawing, scanned itto photoshop, multiplied its layers and adjusted the brightness, contrast and levels until I had clean line work which I could cut out and invert.

Element: food









Helsinki: Vendace 





Istanbul: Turkish delight

Element: miscellaneous
Milan: fashion


Helsinki: folk art (Christmas tree)




Istanbul: carpet/tile patterns




These images show the development of my Milan cover












I also tried a more intense version to improve the contrast by multiplying the layers in photoshop


I added some hand drawn elements in Corel Painter to make it less formal and link the maps.


This is the version that I will use for the mock up



Development of the Helsinki visual









Missing elements: specific tram; boat; bicycle; drawn city map; amusement park stamp

Development of the Istanbul visual












Missing elements: boat; specific tram, drawn city map; finished stamps

Learning points
My initial urge was to travel to each country to collect mementos and sketch onsite (totally impractical, obviously) so that’s what I tried to capture in my illustrations.

Since I work with many techniques and styles (pen and water colour; charcoal, acrylic and crackle glaze; pop art style digital images) this seemed like a good opportunity to bring them all together in a collage effect illustration.


I think it works to some extent but I have been looking at the exercise for so long now that I can’t be objective. The Milan cover is my favourite, probably because it is finished, the other two don’t quite live up to my expectations at the moment but time is ticking on so I will try to come back later to finish them.

The little drawings were pretty quick and simple to do, but there are a lot of them which proved time consuming. I still prefer drawing with a real pencil to drawing with my tablet.

I made errors with the map of Turkey and the Finnish flag was difficult to read initially; both corrected.

I found these travel themed illustrations in an easyJet magazine when I had completed the Milan cover


This mural painting animation is genius, I'd love to do one







 Gary Venn
There is a lovely digital collage here





The excellent Marc Aspinall at his Tree House Press


They have similarities to my designs as they incorporate many elements, hand drawn maps and digitally manipulated or generated drawings, some with a range of styles. They all work well and I found this encouraging as my drawings are up to these published standards.


No comments:

Post a Comment