Monday, February 10, 2014

Finishing Part 5

I’ve learnt an enormous amount from this course and despite my original intention to complete it in 8 months I’ve taken the full 2 years (plus 3 weeks), and happily so, as I don’t think I would have achieved the same results in a shorter time. Parts of the course were harder going and of less interest than others which is definitely reflected in my results but I learnt as much from those (e.g. patience, perseverance and dropping perfectionism) as I did from the parts I found more enjoyable. Overall a very challenging, rewarding and enjoyable experience.

Sound methodology for ideas generation and development
I now know how to research effectively and when to stop before I am drowning in visual information; I have solid tools for coming up with and expanding ideas and I’m much less likely to balk at changing tack if a better route becomes visible through brainstorming.

Improved observational skills
I have gradually developed a stuffed ‘photo sketch book’ full of interesting textures, colours and shapes as well as source photos for plants, animals, vehicles, buildings etc.
I have my eye out more often for strange and beautiful things and am more likely to record them with a photo or sketch than I was before the course.

Improvement in drawing skills and confidence
I know now that even when I’m apparently stuck and things aren’t turning out the way I’d pictured that through drawing and redrawing I can push through my blocks and get the job done. I’ve also learnt that rests and breaks are vital in order to see more clearly what’s working, what isn’t and what steps are needed to improve the outcome.

Portfolio
Although I wouldn’t include all my course work in my portfolio, the course has led to a healthy expansion of it. I have sold some of the work generated through the course as digital prints, postcards, murals and screen prints.

I found my style
Drawing by hand and digital manipulation; rather than always trying for clean, sharp perfection as I once did, I now like to leave some of my images a bit ‘dirty’ and handmade looking, which I think imparts warmth and interest. I love drawing in pencil, scanning the results and cutting out the line-work in a way that leaves the texture of the line and some smudging around it. 

Expanded use of materials and techniques
I’m now much more likely to experiment with hands on skills such as marbling, painting in different materials and collage. Once scanned and manipulated digitally the results often contain some truly unique effects.

Photoshop
Via experimentation, trial and error, Digital Arts magazine tutorials and online tutorials (as recommended by my tutor) I have expanded my skill set in Photoshop. I find it fun and can happily while away hours on end tweaking this and that.

Corel Painter
Also recommended by my tutor; while still a novice in Painter I have learnt some good techniques for making digital colouring more textural and interesting.

Adobe Illustrator
I’m a bit disappointed to report my lack of progress with Adobe Illustrator; I’m sure if I’d continued with my initial daily practice and online tutorials I would have made significant improvements but at some point (perhaps with the onset of the menopause!) I started to feel a bit overwhelmed by all the new information I was coming across and Illustrator fell by the wayside.
Also, while I am impressed by the work of some artists who use vector drawing in a phenomenally skillful and imaginative way (e.g. Orlando Aracena I have noticed a ‘sameness’ and coldness in the work of some others.

Illustrating for children and character development are not my fortes, but this year I’ve decided to concentrate on my strengths and the processes which I really do enjoy.

Next Steps
I’ve started to make connections and join illustrator forums on Linked-in, which is a good way to see what other illustrators are producing, share ideas and give and get feedback from others in the field.

I will finish reading the ‘Becoming a Successful Illustrator’ book.

Despite it being my least enjoyable part of the whole creative process I am keen to get started on a programme of self promotion, using facebook, linked-in, my website and contacts found through specific research. I’m especially keen to find a commercial outlet for my patterns.

I have been commissioned to design the book covers for a series of five novels to be published by a writer friend in the summer.

If all goes according to plan I will have an exhibition in a bar in Cadiz during the carnival this year. This is one of the busiest times in the Cadiz calendar, with people coming from all over the world, so it’s a good opportunity for exposure and hopefully sales.

At this point I think it unlikely that I'll go on to complete a degree; in a purely practical sense at the rate I've worked through this level 1 course I wouldn't finish within the 12 year deadline. I plan to take a few months break from studying to concentrate on some personal projects which I've sidelined (e.g. portraits, screen printing patterns on to walls, reorganising my website, promotion) and to complete the book cover commission. After that, who knows? I am tempted by the level 1 drawing and book design courses and by the level 2 and 3 illustration courses on the visual communications degree pathway, although I am loath to commit myself to undertaking those parts of the courses which will inevitably seem less relevant and interesting to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment