Saturday, March 17, 2012

Project: Mark Making

Pencil, liner pen, metallic markers, felt tip, charcoal, ink with white marks and bleach:


I was most surprised by the different qualities and possibilities of stippling and also particularly liked the effect of drawing with pencil on its 'side'


Drawing inks:



I particularly liked the effect of overlapping the translucent colours, especially with dry brushing and printing with the roller end.

Drawing inks:

Good to experiment with nib widths, dry and wet brushing on dry and wet pap
er and splatter.


Betun Judaica (Jewish Bitumen stain):


I loved the smudgy effect, drawing with a dip pen and the splatter with the crackle glaze and stain on top.

This is messy stuff...it seeps through paper.


Black marks:

I made 3 rows of black squares using ink, acrylic paint and black gloss paint, with a loaded/partially loaded brush, splattering and paper towel and mixing in other elements with some, intending to over paint them with bleach and other materials, but I found them so interesting that I decided to record them as they were.

I may experiment with other materials on top or redo the exercise.

These exercises were great fun and the pieces are beautiful in themselves as well as throwing up useful combinations and techniques.



No comments:

Post a Comment